Friday, November 11, 2011

Two Weeks Left and Counting...

So, surprise surprise, it’s been a while again. On a positive note, SUMMER HAS STARTED! I’m officially finished with school and with exactly two weeks until I head back to the states, I’ve been making the most out of everything here. The week after my last post was spent glued to the computer as I finished my monster mini thesis for my writing theory course, taking some time off for Formal. And wow was Formal fun! It was held at a convention center here in Wollongong, so we had a party bus to come and pick us up before and after. A number of us girls got ready all together at I-House before catching our ride to the convention center where we mingled before taking our seats for the awards ceremony and dinner. I didn’t feel too well during the awards ceremony, but I perked up just in time as dinner was served. It was such a good dinner, too! Chicken, mashed potatoes, veggies, and free drinks to go with the meal. After cafeteria-style college dinner for the past few months, it was a welcome and delicious change.




The rest of the night was spent dancing and having a good time like any other night out in Wollongong, but instead of an I-House group and a bunch of randoms, the dance floor was packed with 200 people you’ve had the pleasure of living with and getting to know over the past few months. Either way, we danced for hours before our time ended at the convention center, then caught the party bus out to the pubs in town. We made a quick stop at Glasshouse, a club that recently reopened, but left shortly after to catch retro night at Illawarra. After a number of people were refused entry by the bouncers (including one of our guys who’s never drank in his life – it made me question their judgment more than a little!) we all wandered over to the kebab shop before finding our way home. Once back at I-House, we put on Lion King in the Red Room, which I must say has only gotten better over time. We finished the night with Despicable Me, which I fell asleep to almost immediately. Such a good night!





It was back to the books for me over the next few days, and I finished my paper thanks to a six+ hour Skype date with my dear mother who graciously edited and slaved over my paper with me. THANK YOU MADRE! Highlights of the weekend other than homework were playing in the torrential downpour of a thunderstorm with Annabel and sliding around in the grass, Pete Rose style, as well as an epic Nerf war battle. My not-so-proud moment of that night would be about thirty seconds into the game when my team split into partners to capture the other team’s flag. I took off up the concrete stairs with Fish leading the way, stalking around the corner when I, um, lost my footing and somehow came crashing down, gun and face first into the stairs. I laid there, too embarrassed to move, and Fish just turned around to where I was laying mortified and just said “Did you fall?” Whoops. I had a scrape on my knee that I didn’t realize was bleeding until two games later and mass skinning and scrapes on my feet. Other than that mishap, the game went well and I even had some kills! Yay for real-life shooting games! Halloween was fairly uneventful for me since I played soccer instead of staying at I-House for the festivities.

The following week began “Noise Ban” at I-House, since there was no school the first week of November since it was study week before exams. Which means no noise in the hallways at any time, and the kitchen is open basically 24hours for people to camp out and study. It’s the weirdest thing: people actually start studying a full week before exams. Granted, finals here are worth literally fifty percent of the course grade, so that’s a bit more weighty than in the states, but still. Study here is taken heaps seriously. It was a good mode to get into since I had one more paper to do for my lit class, but either way it’s soo nice to be finished!

For now, I’m going to go learn to skate(long)board with Annabel and probably get in on a movie marathon in the Red Room. Realizing I only have two weeks left in Australia and one week before people start to leave, I’m desperate to spend every possible second with everyone doing as much as I can. Exciting news: I was accepted for my program in France! Europe-bound for the spring 2012 session! Little snippets for the next post: spending time at Charlotte’s where I saw kangaroo boxing, biking and barbeque at the beach, and a few good nights out. More to come with the next post. Hope all is well in the states, and I’ll see you all soon!

Here and there,
Kiley

No comments:

Post a Comment