Monday, January 16, 2012

Au revoir cours intensif, and bonjour Marseille!

Providing that we get the internet fixed up in our apartment soon, I think I may actually succeed at posting frequently! Here’s what’s been going on the last few days in the land of delicious cheese, bread, and wine. As promised, here are a few of the apartment photos that I've been able to load...



...and back into the past few days!

What a fun end of the week! The cours intensif was really helpful as a review, especially because it forced me to speak French. Considering I’m in France, I find I haven’t been speaking a whole lot of French. I divert to English whenever I’m with Americans from our program, and usually when I try and speak French in a shop or restaurant, the workers can tell I’m American and typically switch over to English. This is usually frustrating, until I find someone that will actually speak French with me but speaks too quickly and I have to ask them to repeat themselves. But I’m getting the hang of it and understanding more and more, so hopefully I’ll just keep getting better!

On Thursday after class, I went around Aix with a few of the girls from the program as we worked to complete our scavenger hunt that the program directors gave us. It took us all over the place, from fountains and museums, to different types of shops, to landmarks and eateries. It was a great way to force us out of our comfort zone and get to know the city. It also took me to the antique-type store where I found a yellow and white tea set that I eventually gave in and bought. It’s so cute, it matches the apartment, and it was pretty inexpensive too! Win, win, and win. After doing our homework at “Book in Bar,” the bookstore that sells books in English as well as incredible tea and coffee, we decided to part for dinner and then meet back up for drinks.




Carly and I went back to the kebab shop, and we talked to the guys behind the counter who could also tell that we're American. One of the guys is studying French as well and may even be taking some of the same courses I am! I know I’ll be going back there for food frequently, and it’d be great to know someone in class from outside the program.


After dinner, I met the girls at the Rotonde – the great big round-about that begins the Cours Mirabeau, complete with gigantic fountain - pictures to come once it warms up and the water is turned on – and we went to O’Sullivan’s, the Irish bar I went to my first night out last week. We sat talking and listening to the very American music for a few hours before calling it a night since we still had one more day of 9am cours intensif. Luckily, this is the bar that’s just around the corner from my apartment, so I was home and in bed in no time.

I woke up the next morning for our last session of class, which I was ready to be finished with by the end of the week. Immediately after class, I came straight home even though we had a group meeting an hour after. Why? Because I was sixty pages away from finishing the Hunger Games series, and I wanted to squeeze in a few chapters before our meeting. Did I mention I only started reading the first of the three books on the plane on the way here? Because it’s that good that I’ve read all three nearly-300-page books in a week. It’s been a while since a book has roped me in like that, but good grief, I was hooked. Hooked to the point that during my exam that morning, all I could do was reel about who had died and what would happen next, because I made the mistake of reading a chapter before class.

With thirty pages to go, I stuck my Nook (best idea ever, by the way, thanks parents and Abby!) in my bag and met the group to talk to the program’s psychologist. She began her presentation by telling us about culture shock and whatnot, then moved on to the rules and etiquette of dating in French culture. While some aspects seem much less complicated (if a boy likes you, he’ll actually call and pursue you, as opposed to abiding by the very American “three day rule” business, so less headgames), but some of the rules seem a bit strange and even a bit off-putting (girls should play hard to get, because “no” to a French guy means “I want you to try harder,” so you have to be rude and convince them you’re really not interested). This was followed by another long lecture about being careful about making eye contact and sending the wrong signals. Guess it’s pretty important if they keep bringing it up, but I haven't had any issues so far, so I hope they're just making us extra cautious. Either way, it's good to know that there's someone on hand to talk to should the cultural adjustments/courses/anything get overwhelming.

After the psychologist, we all went to the bureau (office) to go over the scavenger hunt. Since I ended up at the back of the room, I may or may not have ducked back into and finished my book while we reviewed and talked about the hunt. (It was a really, really good series. Ending was just a little abrupt and I could have used a little more resolution, but overall SO good. Go buy it and read it now. Then see the movie. Seriously…) Afterward, the students that are here for the year came to join us for the gallette du roi (king cake), a round, ring cake made for the Epiphany with little trinkets baked into them, only made in January. If you find the little token – I’ve seen little ceramic/painted figurines of people and a cow – in your cake, then you become the king or queen for the day, and everyone has to do what you say. My piece of chocolate chip cake had no prize, but it was still delicious, just like every other baked good I’ve had since I’ve been here.

Friday night, a big group of us girls went out to celebrate a birthday. We went to a few of the girls’ apartment where most of the girls from the program ended up for at least part of the night. People brought cheese, wine, and bread. Shocking in France, right? We only stayed for a little while, but I had such a good time! Next, we went to WoHoo to dance out the birthday where we were given a bottle of free birthday wine. We danced downstairs for hours to so many of my favorite songs. Plus, I got a photo of the Australian flag and even found the five dollar Australian note on the wall! Mixing the old and the new, and I couldn’t be happier.

We woke up early on Saturday morning to catch the bus for our tour of Marseille, less than an hour south of where I am. I’ve heard a number of times that Marseille is rough and rundown, and while we saw some places that I wouldn't want to be caught in at night, I thought it was a great city. There was a fair amount of graffiti, but there seems to be a lot in Aix too, and it seems really well done, so I'm not complaining anyway! Next to the old buildings is the harbor. At the docks, the water looks beautiful against the blue sky with all the boats bobbing around. We arrived in the morning, so the fishermen were bringing in the fish (and more!) that they'd caught.



The city, built on hills and rich in Greek and Roman history, has brilliant architecture, down to the doors and their frames. From the beautiful, ornate churches at the top of the hills, you can look over the dock and the Mediterranean Sea with the mountains bordering the other side. For lunch, we ate at a Greek restaurant close to the docks where I had lamb ribs with a salad and fries, served on a plate that was as pretty to look at as the food was delicious.


Walking around the city, we saw Greek and Roman ruins and artifacts, a number of museum exhibits, and a church and basilica. The most incredible sight of the day would have to be watching the sun set over the Mediterranean and the mountains from the highest point in the city, from outside the Basilica. An amazing end to the trip, to say the least.



Once back in Aix, a few of the girls and I went to Monoprix, the grocery store by my apartment, where we bought tea (for my tea set!!), chocolate, a few baguettes, three kinds of cheeses, and cookies. On the way to my place, we picked up a pizza. At home, we feasted, gorging ourselves while watching Eurotrip, which just seemed appropriate. We followed this up with Get Him to the Greek. I haven’t laughed so hard in a while. A great way to end a fantastic day!

I woke up late Sunday morning, sleeping in for the first time since last Sunday, and made breakfast: eggs with leftover bread and goat cheese. Then, because we still haven’t gotten internet installed here at the apartment, Carly and I sought out an internet cafĂ© where I posted up for hours, catching up on emails, Facebook, and grad applications. For lunch, because we felt obligated to order something in return for their speedy internet (I’ll never take it for granted again, I swear), I ordered a salad with smoked salmon and more goat cheese and a sweet but tangy kind of vinaigrette dressing. If I ever stop marveling over this food, I’ll be surprised.

Today began my second semester of foreign classes and adjustments. I'll give a run down of my classes at the end of the week, but here's the gist of it: "French Syntax and Morphology," “Modern Form of the Novel” on Monday, then “Ethnology of Africa” on Tuesday, a free day on Wednesday, “Theater of the 50s” and “Oral Expression” for Thursday, and “Methodology of the University” on Friday. Should be an exciting week ahead of me! Hope this post finds you all well and ready for the start of your semesters or rest of the summer, wherever you are.

Here and there,
Kiley

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing you learned all about culture shock. I mean, I know you have never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete