Thursday, May 10, 2012

Spring Break 2012 (Dublin): "I've traveled around, I've been all over this world"

We landed in Dublin on Saturday evening with high hopes for the last leg of our journey. Since it was late when we arrived, we took the hostel’s recommendation and went around the corner to grab a slice of pizza for dinner. We had our first encounter with Ireland’s witty advertising. Across the street from where we got our pizza was a shop whose awning read: “Probably the best pizza in Dublin.” Not convincing as far as quality what with the hedging, but definitely entertaining.

We sat in the lobby downstairs doing some planning where we met a few American girls that gave us some suggestions for the next day. Still, we called it a night early on and were up the next morning, ready and eager for the breakfast the hostel provides. The spread? Toast, beans, hash browns, sausage, bacon, eggs, and fruit. Oh, and tea and coffee. Delicious and filling doesn’t begin to do it justice.

Once we were ready to roll out of the breakfast area, we made our way along the River Liffey and toward the Jameson factory. Chandeliers made of Jameson bottles, a bar serving only Jameson (though it wasn’t open since it was too early), and an extensive gift shop, it was quite a sight. We didn’t go through the actual tour, but it was pretty cool to see.


From the Jameson factory, we made our way across the river to none other than the Guinness factory. The tour there had been highly recommended to us, and we weren’t led wrong. We began with a tour of how the beer is made – how the barley and hops are harvested and processed to make the one and only, Ireland’s finest Guinness. After that, we looked at the history of the company and were awarded certificates once we’d poured our own perfect, complementary pint of Guinness. It’s an art, really.




We lunched, picked up some groceries, and made our way back to the hostel in the pouring rain where we decided to have an evening in. We teamed up with a few other Americans in our hostel and had a night in playing cards over a couple of drinks. After over a week of traveling, it was nice to stay in, clad in sweatpants, cutting up with some friends.

We were up early again the following morning with the intention to go to Cork, but we hadn’t realized quite what a long trip it was. Unfortunately, we opted out of the eight hours we would have spent in transit and didn’t make it to Cork and the Blarney Castle. We did get around the city for a bit, our first stop being Trinity College to see the Book of Kells. After being in France where the campus isn’t really taken care of, or pretty, or maintained, being on a proper, beautiful campus was really something. Right in the middle of the city, the Book of Kells is in a building right in the middle of the campus. We walked through the museum-esque part of the display that explains how the animal skins, inks, and books were made before making our way into the display room where the actual Book is held. Incredible. From there, it was into the library. I’ve never seen such a library, or such incredible windy staircases. Such a cool place.



From there, it was on to Irish coffees and lunch, the best salad spread I’ve ever encountered in my life. Yum. Then it was on to the National Gallery where I found my new favorite painting. The Meeting on the Turret Stairs by Frederic William Burton. Breathtaking. We continued walking around the city and saw some very moving statues commemorating the Irish potato famine as well, right alongside the river. Maybe those photos will do the sorrow and grief more justice than I can, describing the overwhelming sadness.




Once back at the hostel, we booked an Irish dancing show, got ready, and went out to enjoy an Irish meal and show. I had salmon with a cheese as an appetizer, followed by lamb stew, then an assortment of desserts, including a chocolate mousse bit, a fruit pastry, and some kind of cake-y pastry. While we ate, the band set up, and the lead singer came to where we were sitting at the bar for his drink. He chatted with us for a bit before going to start his set, and what do you know, a few songs in, we even got a shout-out, a song dedicated to us. Along with our song, the band played a few Irish favorites including “Galway Girl” which has become one of my favorites. The Irish dancers were sensational as well, making me jealous of all their moves, but especially their high kicks. All in all, a wonderful night.



Tuesday morning, we woke up for our last day in Dublin and went straight for Saint Patrick’s Cathedral. The stained glass was probably some of the prettiest windows I’ve ever seen. With Ireland having been my mom's mom's dream destination and the strong Catholic roots of my mom's side, it was particularly special to get to visit Saint Patrick's Cathedral.




We meandered around the city for a bit, the sun finally peeking out to see us in the end. Which was good since we’d managed by some cruel twist of fate to either lose or break three umbrellas over the twelve days.

By the time we reached the hostel from our wandering, however, the rain had picked up again, so we bent our heads against the rain for the last time as we made our way back to the Dublin airport to make our way home to Aix.

Since then, I’ve holed myself up in the apartment to finish an eight-page paper and prepared for my first oral exam. Now, a few tutoring appointments, many hours, a quote, and thirty minutes in front of the professor later, I am two assessments down with three to go. And I got an 11 on my oral! On a scale of 20, that sounds kind of bad, but it actually translates to a B+, which was only “à cause de mon français limité,” due to my limited French. If that’s my biggest fault, I’ll take it! I’ve my first written exam tomorrow morning, followed by our end of the year dinner for the program. Saturday morning, it’s off to Paris to visit my family as well as see Jackie, then home to Aix for a day, then off to Amsterdam with some of the girls, then my last two exams, and then one week to pack and frolic before going home.

With less than three weeks left of my year abroad, everything seems to be coming to a close rather quickly, and my feelings about it are as mixed as ever. I’m unbelievably excited to get home and reunite with my family and friends, but the fact that I’ll be parting with another set of friends, moving on to another stage of life, both breaks my heart and, quite frankly, terrifies me. But for now, I’m going to do my best to savor the last few weeks of what has been an incredible journey before I have to face up to the new challenges that await me states-side. Until then, I’ll keep you posted on the last bits of traveling that I’ll be up to and hopefully some end of the year shenanigans, too. Love and miss you all, as always.

Here and there,
Kiley

No comments:

Post a Comment