Sunday, November 4, 2012

NaNoWriMo is a Reality

*This post was supposed to go up Wednesday, October 31, but due to lack of interwebs, well, it’s a little late*

Committing to writing scares me. To talk about it is one thing, to post tidbits on a blog is another, but declaring that I'm going to write a novel in thirty days has me scared shitless.

Today is Halloween. Which means November begins tomorrow. Which means NaNoWriMo begins, and I have to physically commit myself to the cause and to my writing. Until now it’s been all talk, but the reality of what I’m about to undertake is just now hitting me.

50,000 in 30 days, averaging about 1,667 words per day. AH! Why did I sign up for this? Where am I going to find the time to fit this in? Is my story good enough? Will my characters be believable? Will I like what I write? Will anyone else? Will I make it?

These questions have all been plaguing me over the past few days that I’ve been stuck inside, thanks to Sandy, and I’ve procrastinated with the best of them. I’ve logged over 25 episodes of House and done minimal work on my outline for NaNoWriMo. Even now, I’m writing about being scared about writing instead of taking action and doing something. That’s the worst part. I know I’m not being productive! As I’ve written these last few sentences, I’ve thought about organizing my desk, writing out a list of goals/motivational notes for myself, going to sleep to get well rested for November, and a dozen other things that would surely increase my productivity, but really would all just help me procrastinate. I’m the worst.

In an effort to stop my procrastination and assuage my fears, I’m going to make this the shortest post ever and hurriedly straighten my room before I do the last bit of outlining and character profiles before taking the plunge tomorrow. I said I was going to write a novel in a month, and I am scared to death that I’m going to fail, fall short, or write crap if I do finish, but I guess those are all risks I’m going to have to take.

Please excuse my limited posts or potential absence over the next month. Hopefully it means that I’m busy writing an awesome novel! I’ll try and share a bit of what I’m writing or other pieces I’ve written in the past if I do post, but follow me on Twitter with that button over there << or search for KileyKatey. I'm sure I'll be word-vomiting there when I'm not word-vomiting my novel.

Thanks for any thoughts, good wishes, or prayers you can send my way, too. Know that they are appreciated!! See you on the other side, 50,000 words down the road!

Here and there (but really, just sitting in front of my computer for thirty days),
Kiley

**At the time of this post, I'm up to 7,235 words! Still, send encouragement, tell me you're sure I'm not writing utter drivel, and please keep bearing with me this month. Also, my story is about gnomes, if you were wondering. I am tweeting a hell of a lot more than usual too, so if you want to keep in touch, follow me there!

No comments:

Post a Comment